Similar main course recipes:
Green (Hariyali) Chicken Curry
Green chicken curry (Indian) is a dish with greenish curry. It gets its color from the high amount of coriander leaves, green chilies, and mint leaves. Meat pieces also get a greenish tint as they get marinated in the paste of these green vegetables. This is the reason it got the name ‘hariyali (green) chicken’. This is a very delicious dish with nice aroma, marinated and cooked in the paste of fresh green herbs. It looks good and tastes good.
- 700 gm chicken
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3 green cardamoms
- 7-8 black peppers
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 11/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 15 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 6 green chilies
- 1 cup onions (chopped)
- 20 cashews
- ½ cup curd
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- In a mixer jar, add 11/2 cups coriander leaves, 1 cup mint leaves, 15 garlic cloves, and 1 inch ginger. Then add 6 green chilies, 1 cup chopped onions, 20 cashew nuts, 1/2 cup curd, and 2 tsp lemon juice. Blend it well to make a smooth paste of it.
- Take 700 gm chicken in a mixing bowl and add the prepared paste to it. Add 2 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp black pepper powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, and 1 tsp salt. Mix everything well with the chicken and let it marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp ghee in a kadai (frying pan). Add 7-8 black pepper and sauté for a few seconds. Then add 3 cardamom, 1/2 inch cinnamon stick and sauté for a few more seconds.
- Add the marinated chicken to the kadai. Keep the heat on medium-high and cook for 5 min. Add the remaining marinade and mix well. Put a lid on the kadai and cook for 10 min on medium heat.
- Remove the lid and then stir well. Turn the heat to low and then cover the lid. Let it cook for 20 min.
- Add 1 tsp garam masala and 1 tsp kasuri methi. Mix them well with the meat and cook it for 3 min.
- Transfer the green chicken to a serving plate or bowl. You can Serve it hot with roti, naan or rice.
- You can use boneless chicken for this recipe, but a bone-in one will taste better.
- For better taste, you can let the chicken marinate for more than an hour.
Subscribe with us to get delicious recipes directly to your inbox: