Goan Chicken Cafreal Recipe | Frango a Cafreal (Cafreal Masala Paste Recipe included)
Chicken cafreal is a popular Goan recipe. This recipe was introduced by the Portuguese and is prepared during Christmas or celebrations in Goa. It has a spicy, tangy, and fresh taste because of the ingredients used in the recipe. Try this recipe at home and share your experience.
Similar main course recipes:
Chicken Cafreal | Frango a Cafreal
Goan chicken curry is a vibrant, flavorful dishfrom Goa, India. It is popular not only in India but all over the world due tothe millions of tourists who visit Goa every year.
- 750 gm chicken
- 25 gm mint leaves
- 100 gm coriander leaves
- 1 small capsicum, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves
- 5 medium spicy green chilies
- 2 green chilies
- ½ cup onions, chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black peppers
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 7-8 cloves
- 1½ inch cinnamon
- 7 green cardamoms
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 5 tbsp oil
- In a mixing bowl, add 750 gm chicken, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp turmeric powder and 2 tsp lemon juice. Mix everything well and leave it to marinate for 15 min.
Cafreal Masala Paste:
- In a mixer jar, add 100 gm coriander leaves, 25 gm mint leaves, 1 chopped capsicum, 8 garlic cloves, 5 medium spicy green chilies, 2 spicy green chilies, ½ cup chopped onions, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp black pepper, 2 tsp coriander seeds, 8 cloves, 1½ inch cinnamon and 7 green cardamom. Now blend till everything turns into a smooth paste.
- Add the paste and 2 tsp vinegar to the marinated chicken. Mix well with the chicken and let it marinate for 2 hours.
- Heat 5 tablespoons of oil in a kadai or pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot enough, add the marinated chicken to the kadai. Fry the chicken pieces for 15 min on medium-high flame. Keep the pieces turning around, so they are cooked well from all the sides.
- Remove the chicken from the kadai. Let the oil stay in the kadai and add the remaining marinade to it. Cook for 10 min on a low flame.
- Again, add the fried chicken pieces to the kadai and mix well. Add 1 cup water and cover with a lid. Let it cook for 15 min.
- Add 1 tsp sugar and mix well. Cook the meat well until the gravy becomes a bit dry or thicker. Turn off the flame once done.
- Serve hot chicken cafreal with fried potato wedges, salad or rice or goan bread.
- Use bone-in chicken in this recipe.
- If possible, let the chicken marinate for a longer time.
Subscribe with us to get delicious recipes directly to your inbox: