Drums of Heaven are chicken lollipops cooked in a spicy and sweet sauce. This is a delicious Indo-Chinese recipe. To make drums of heaven, chicken lollipop pieces need to be tossed and stir-fried in a sweet and spicy sauce mix. This sauce mix is made from Chinese sauces and spices. Lollipop recipes are so popular that you can easily get pre-cut lollipop pieces in shops or online. They are chicken wing pieces cut in a mushroom shape resembling chicken legs. As they’re available ready-made, you don’t need to do all the hustle. You can change the spiciness of a sauce by adjusting the amount of sauce. This is a perfect appetizer recipe to try at home for parties and gatherings.
Chicken Drums Of Heaven
- 14-15 chicken lollipop (chicken wings pieces)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp maida (all-purpose flour)
- 1½ tbsp corn flour
- ½ tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
For frying the chicken lollipops and making the sauce
- Oil for frying
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- ½ tsp ginger chopped
- 2 tbsp green onion whites chopped
- 2 tbsp Sichuan sauce (a.k.a. szechuan or schezwan sauce)
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour (for slurry)
- 2 tbsp honey
- Take the chicken lollipop pieces in a mixing bowl. Add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder, and ½ tsp salt. Then add 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp vinegar, and ½ tsp black pepper powder. Mix well with the chicken wings pieces and let the pieces marinate for 30 min.
- In the marinated chicken, add 2 tbsp maida (all-purpose flour), 1½ tbsp corn flour, and ½ tsp kashmiri red chili powder. Then add 1 egg, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp black pepper powder. Mix well with the chicken wings pieces.
- Heat enough oil to fry the chicken in a kadai or wok on medium high flame.
- Once oil is hot, add the lollipop pieces in the kadai. Fry them for 8–10 minutes on each side. Keep the pieces turning around to fry them well. Fry these pieces in batches. Remove them to a plate and fry the remaining pieces.
- Add the fried lollipop pieces again in hot oil and fry for 2 more minutes. Remove them onto a kitchen towel or tissue paper to drain the excess oil.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan on medium high flame. Add 1 tsp chopped garlic and ½ tsp chopped ginger. Sauté everything well for 1 min. Then add 2 tbsp chopped green onion whites and fry for 2 min or till they turn light brown.
- In a small bowl, add 1 tsp cornflour and enough water to make thick slurry. Whisk water and cornflour well together.
- Add 2 tbsp schezwan (Sichuan) sauce, 1 tsp dark soy sauce, 2 tbsp tomato ketchup and 1 tsp vinegar. Mix all sauces well together and cook for 2 min. Keep stirring in between.
- Add cornflour slurry and mix with sauces. Sauté well for 1 min. Add 2 tbsp honey and mix well. Add the fried lollipop pieces to the sauce.
- Cook the lollipop pieces in the sauce for 2-3 min or till sauce thickens well. Add the chopped green onions and mix well. Sauté for a minute and turn off the flame.
- Serve hot.
- Make sure the oil is hot enough to fry the chicken.
- Use chicken lollipop pieces with skin for this recipe.
- Frying the lollipops for a second time makes them crispier.