How to make achari chicken masala | Murgh achaari curry recipe
Achari chicken is one of the tastiest dishes from North India. It is known for its mildly spicy, sour, and unforgettable tangy taste. The chicken is marinated with yogurt and spices, then cooked with pickling spices, and stuffed with green chilies. This gives this dish a very different taste from any other curry. Every curry lover should definitely try this dish at least once. Even though it looks like every other curry, you will be surprised by the taste of the curry and those stuffed green chilies.
Similar main course recipes:
Chicken Achari Curry Recipe
Achari chicken is a flavor-packed Indian dish. Marinated chicken cooked with pickling spices gives it a tangy, mildly spicy, and almost pickle-like taste. If you have never tasted it, then it is a must-try dish for all curry lovers.
For marinating chicken
- 500 gm chicken
- 4 tbsp curd or yogurt
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1½ tsp kashmiri dry red chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
For making gravy
- 3 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 pinch mustard seeds
- 1 pinch nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1 cup onion(s), finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp achari masala powder
- 2 tsp masala from pickle (masala from mango pickle or chili pickle)
- 1 tsp sugar
For green chili stuffing
- 5-6 green chilies (choose big green chilies)
- 1 tbsp achari masala powder
- 1 tsp mango powder (amchur powder)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- ¼ tsp salt
- Coriander leaves chopped
- Ginger julienne
- Take 500 gm chicken in mixing bowl. Add 4 tbsp curd, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chili powder, 1½ tsp Kashmiri red chili powder, and 1 tsp salt. Mix well with the chicken and let it marinate for 30 min.
- To make a stuffing for green chilies, take 1 tbsp achari masala powder, 1 tsp mango powder, 1 tsp chaat masala, ¼ tsp salt, and 1 tsp lemon juice in a small bowl. Use a spoon and mix everything well together.
- Slit green chilies in the middle using knife. Stuff them with achari masala stuffing and keep them aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp mustard oil in a kadai on medium-high heat. Let the mustard oil heat until you can see smoke coming from it.
- Turn the heat to medium. Add a pinch of mustard seeds and a pinch of nigella seeds. Stir and fry for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup finely chopped onion and mix sell in oil. Let the onion fry for 7-8 min until onion turns light brown and a little softer. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Add 1½ tsp ginger garlic paste, mix well, and cook for 1 min. Then add ½ cup tomato puree, stir well and cook for 2-3 min or till the puree thickens and oil starts separating.
- Now add the marinated chicken and mix well. Turn the heat to medium-high and cook the chicken for 5 min. Then turn the heat to medium, cover the lid, and cook for 10 min.
- Add 1 cup water, mix well. Cover the lid and cook for 10 min.
- Add 2 tbsp achari masala powder, 2 tsp pickle masala, and 1 tsp sugar. Mix well, cover with a lid, and cook for 5 min.
- Remove the lid, and now gently put the stuffed chilies on top of the chicken pieces. Put lid back on the kadai and cook for 7-8 min. Turn off the heat.
- Transfer the achari chicken to a serving bowl or plate. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and ginger julienne. Serve hot with rice, roti, or naan.
- Adjust the spices as per your taste. Add more chili powder if you want to make it spicy.
- Chilies needed for stuffing should be big but not spicy. Choose something similar to Bhavanagri chili.
- No need to mix the chili in the curry. Just cook them until they turn a bit soft.
Subscribe with us to get delicious recipes directly to your inbox: