Afghani Chicken Curry Recipe: A Flavorful exotic dish to try at home
Afghani chicken curry is believed to have its origins in the very distant past. It has been passed down from generation to generation for centuries. It is a comforting delight for chicken curry lovers.
Similar main course recipes:
Afghani Chicken Curry Recipe
As the name suggests, Afghani chicken curry is a staple of Afghani cuisine. This dish is mildly spicy in taste. It is creamy in texture. It’s easy to make and extremely delicious.
- 750 gm chicken
- 1 cup onion(s), chopped
- 30 gm garlic
- 15 gm ginger
- 8 green chilies
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 25 gm cashews
- 6 tbsp curd
- 5 tbsp cream
- ½ lemon
- 5 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- 1½ tsp salt
- In a blender jar, add 1 cup chopped onions, 8 green chilies, and 1 cup coriander leaves. Then, add cashews, garlic, ginger, and 6 tbsp curd. Blend till it turns into a smooth paste.
- Take 750 gm chicken into a mixing bowl and add the prepared paste to it.
- Add 1½ tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper powder, 1 tsp chaat masala, and 2 tsp lemon juice. Mix everything well with the chicken and let it marinate for at least an hour.
- Heat 5 tbsp oil in a pan on a medium-high flame. Add the marinated chicken pieces to the pan to fry. Do not overcrowd the pan. Fry the pieces in batches.
- Fry the chicken for 5 min on one side, then turn it on the other side. Let it fry for another 5 min. Remove it from the pan and keep it aside. Transfer 2-3 tbsp oil from the pan to a kadai.
- Add marinade to the kadai and cook for 5 min. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Add the fried pieces to the kadai and mix well. Turn the flame from medium to high and cook for another 10 min.
- Add 1 cup of water and mix well with the curry. Keep stirring and let the curry thicken.
- Add 1 tsp kasuri methi and 1 tsp garam masala, mix well. Turn the flame to low and let it cook for 15 min. Turn off the flame.
- Serve ready afghan chicken curry with chapati, roti, or steamed rice.
- Use more water if you want the curry to be less thick.
- Adjust the spice level as per your taste.
Subscribe with us to get delicious recipes directly to your inbox: