Methi chicken curry is a popular and tasty dish from India. Chicken is cooked with fresh methi (fenugreek) leaves, onions, tomatoes, and spices. Methi leaves make this dish aromatic and give a slightly bitter taste to the curry. It is a healthy and easy dish to make. This dish is different from methi malai chicken, which has cream as a major ingredient.
Similar main course recipes:
Methi chicken recipe
- 500 gm chicken
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 4 green cardamoms
- 5 cloves
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ cup tomatoes finely, chopped
- ½ cup curd or yogurt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 cup methi (fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (optional)
- Take a 500 gm chicken in a bowl. Add 1 tsp red chili, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, and ½ tsp salt. Mix well and keep aside for 15 min.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a kadai on medium heat. Add 1 inch cinnamon, 4 green cardamom, 5 cloves, ½ tsp cumin seeds, and stir well for 15 seconds.
- Add 1 cup finely chopped onions and fry for 8 min till they turn soft and light brown in color. Add 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste, 2 green chilies, and fry for a minute.
- Add 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder, 2 tsp coriander powder, and 1 tsp cumin powder and mix well.
- Next, add ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes and ½ tsp salt. Mix well and cook for 4 min., until the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Add the chicken and mix well. Stir well and cook for 5 min. Then cover with a lid and cook for 10 min.
- Add ½ cup water and mix well with the chicken. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 min. Now, add ½ cup curd and mix well. Cook for another 10 min.
- Now, add 2 cups methi (fenugreek) leaves and mix well. Cook for 5 min then add 1 tsp garam masala and give it a good mix.
- Add 1 tsp kasuri methi and 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Turn off the heat.
- Serve hot methi chicken with roti, naan, or rice.
- You can use boneless chicken but bone in chicken pieces gives a nice taste to the gravy.
- Adjust the spices level as per your taste.
- Cut the stems of the methi leaves and only use the leaves. The stems are more bitter compared to the leaves.
- Whisk the curd and make it smooth before adding. You can use thick yogurt.