Chicken handi is a popular, aromatic, and delicious Indian dish. The chicken is marinated with curd or yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, and spices. Curry is made with onions, tomato puree, and many other spices. Ghee and fresh cream give the curry a rich, smooth, and creamy texture. There are many variations of this dish in different regions of India. This dish is so popular that you can find it on the menu of most of the Indian restaurants. It is a perfect dish to make on weekends or for your guests.
Similar main course recipes:
Chicken Handi Recipe Restaurant Style
- 750 gm chicken
- ½ cup curd
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup onions fried
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 small pieces of cinnamon
- 4 green cardamoms
- 5 cloves
- Half piece of mace
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 bay leaves (small)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ cup onions chopped
- 1½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ cup tomato puree
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 green chilies
- 12 cashews (soaked in warm water)
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- ¼ cup fresh cream
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- Take 750 gm chicken in a mixing bowl. Add the marinating ingredients to a bowl and mix them well with the chicken. Let it marinate for 45 min.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp ghee in a handi or pot on medium heat. Add bay leaf, 2 small pieces of cinnamon, 4 green cardamoms, 5 cloves, half piece of mace, 1 black cardamom, and ½ tsp cumin seeds. Mix well and fry for 34-40 seconds.
- Add ¼ cup chopped onions and fry for a minute. Add ½ tsp cumin seeds and fry till onions turns brown and softer.
- Add 1½ tsp red chili powder, 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder, and 2 tsp coriander powder. Then add ½ tsp cumin powder, and ½ tsp turmeric powder. Mix all spices well with onion and cook for 1-2 min.
- Now add ½ cup tomato puree and give a good mix. Keep stirring and cooking for 2 min. Then add ¼ tsp salt and cook for 3 min.
- Add the marinated chicken in the pot and mix well with the tomato puree. Keep stirring and cooking for 5 min on medium heat. Then cover with a lid and cook for 15 min.
- Crush the 1 cup of fried onion when it's crispy. Now, remove the lid; add 2 green chilies, and 1 cup crushed fried onions. Mix well with the chicken and cook for 2-3 min.
- Add 1½ cup water and mix well with the chicken. Cover with a lid and cook for 25 min on medium heat.
- Blend 12 soaked cashews and make a smooth paste. Add cashew paste to the pot and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 min. Stir occasionally in between.
- Add ½ tsp garam masala and, 1 tsp kasuri methi and give a good mix. Cook for 2 min on low heat.
- Add ¼ cup cream and mix well. Cook for 2 min. Finally, add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and mix well with the curry. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot chicken handi curry with naan, roti, or rice.
- You can use boneless chicken for this recipe, but bone-in chicken pieces taste better.
- Adjust the spice level as per your taste.
- You can use Greek yogurt instead of curd.