Paneer handi is a popular and delicious dish from North India. Gravy is made from tomato puree, on-ion-cashew paste, and many different spices. Then fresh paneer is cooked in gravy. The gravy is thick, rich, and spicy in taste. This dish needs to be cooked in a handi, which is a traditional deep, wide-mouthed, and flat-base clay pot. But we can make this dish in a kadai or copper handi if a traditional handi is not available. This recipe is very simple and easy to make. Try this dish for your next dinner.
Similar main course recipes:
Paneer handi recipe | Paneer diwani handi masala dhaba style
- 350 gm paneer cubes
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- ¼ cup curd
- 12 cashews
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green cardamoms
- 3 cloves
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chilies chopped
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan on medium heat. Add 1 cup chopped onions and fry for 5-6 min. Then add 12 cashews and fry for a minute. Transfer it to a plate to cool it down.
- Add fried onions, cashews, and ¼ cup curd to the mixer jar. Blend till you get a smooth paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a kadai or handi on medium heat. Add ½ tsp cumin seeds, 2 green cardamom, 3 cloves, ½ inch cinnamon, and 1 tejpatta, and fry for 10-15 seconds.
- Add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and mix well. Fry for 2 min. Then add 2 chopped green chilies and fry for 2 min.
- Add 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder, ½ tsp red chili powder, and1 tsp coriander powder. Then, add ½ tsp cumin powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder and mix well. Add ½ cup tomato puree and mix well with spices. Cook for 4 min.
- Next, add the onion-cashew paste and mix well. Cook for 2 min and add ½ tsp salt and ½ cup water. Stir well and cook for 2-3 min.
- Add paneer cubes to the gravy and combine well. Let it cook for 10 min.
- Add ½ tsp garam masala and 1 tsp kasuri methi. Stir well.
- Finally, add 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and 1 tbsp butter and mix well. Cook for 2 min and turn off the heat.
- Serve hot paneer handi with roti, naan, or rice.
- Adjust the spice level as per your taste.
- You can add 2 tbsp fresh cream if you like.
- Whisk the curd before using it, to make it lump-free. You can also use yogurt instead of curd.