Achari paneer is a delicious and popular dish from North India. Paneer (cottage cheese) gets cooked in a pickling spices which gives this dish a tangy, spicy, and sweet taste. Paneer has a very mild, milky flavor and is a good source of protein. Most of the Punjabi dishes use it as a main ingredient in their vegetarian recipes. Though this dish is not as popular as some other paneer dishes, I think it is one of the tasty dishes that you should try. This gravy dish has a very distinctive taste to it because of those pickling spices. I would suggest you to try this recipe for your next dinner plan if you never tried any achari dishes before.
Similar main course recipes:
Achari Paneer recipe | Paneer achari masala gravy recipe
- 250 gm paneer
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp green chili, chopped
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp achari masala
- 1 tsp pickle masala
- ½ cup curd
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp sugar (optional)
- 4 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 pinch of mustard seeds
- 1 pinch kalonji (nigella seeds)
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a kadai on medium heat. Add a pinch of mustard seeds and kalounji and stir well.
- Once it starts crackling, add 1 cup finely chopped onions and stir well. Fry for 4-5 min. Add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and 1 tsp chopped green chilies. Mix well, and fry for 2 min.
- Add 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, and ½ tsp turmeric powder. After that, add ½ tsp cumin powder, 2 tsp achari masala, and 1 tsp pickle masala. Mix everything well together and cook for 2 min.
- Add ½ cup tomato puree and stir well for 2 min. Add ½ tsp salt and mix well.
- Add ½ cup curd and mix well. Add 250 gm of paneer cubes and combine well with the gravy. Cook for 2-3 min.
- Now add ½ cup water and stir well. Let it simmer for 5 min. Add 1 tsp kasuri methi, ¼ tsp garam masala, and ½ tsp sugar. Mix well and cook for 2 min.
- Serve hot achari paneer with a roti, naan, or paratha.
- Whisk the curd well to make it lump-free. You can use thick yogurt.
- Adjust spices as per your taste.
- Use fresh paneer for better taste. You can use homemade paneer.
- This recipe tastes best if cooked in mustard oil, so try to avoid using any other oil.
- I have used pickle masala from mango pickle.