Punjabi aloo paratha is stuffed bread, a popular North Indian breakfast recipe. Its stuffing is made with mashed boiled potatoes and different spices. There are also some different parathas with different stuffings, but the aloo paratha is the most popular one among those. Try this easy recipe for Punjabi aloo paratha at home and share your experience.
Similar breakfast recipes:
Punjabi aloo paratha recipe | Dhaba style Punjabi aalu ka paratha
To make dough
- 2 cups wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- ½ tsp oil
- 500 g or 4 potatoes, boiled
- ½ tsp mango powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp coriander leaves
- Place 2 cups of wheat flour in a large mixing bowl. Add ½ tsp salt and 1 tbsp ghee, and start adding water to make dough. Knead well and make a soft dough. Apply ½ tsp oil to the dough and keep it aside.
- Boil 4 potatoes for 20 minutes in a pot and set aside to cool.
- Grate the boiled potatoes with a grater. Using your hands, mash the grated potatoes.
- In the mashed potatoes, add ½ tsp mango powder and ½ tsp cumin powder. Then add ½ tsp red chili powder, and 1 tsp coriander powder. Then add 2 chopped green chilies, 1 tsp chopped ginger, ½ tsp salt, and 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix all the spices and mashed potatoes well.
- Knead the dough well again for 5 min. and make it soft.
- Make small, equal balls of the dough. Also, make small balls of the potato mixture for the stuffing.
- Sprinkle some dry flour on a rolling board. Roll the dough ball using the rolling pin and make 5-6 inch diameter circle sheet.
- Put the stuffed mixture ball in the center of the circle sheet. Now, bring their edges together and seal them properly.
- Gently press the stuffed ball. Use the rolling pin and roll it into a 7-8 inch diameter circle. Sprinkle some flour if needed.
- Preheat a tawa or griddle over medium-high heat.
- Once the tawa is hot, place the paratha on it. Once it is partially cooked, flip it to the other side. Spread some ghee on the cooked side. Repeat the same process on the other side.
- Roast each side of the paratha for 5-6 min or till they turn golden brown. Prepare the remaining aloo parathas in the same manner.
- Serve the hot aloo paratha with curd and pickle.
- Apply some ghee to your hands while kneading the dough. It will make the dough softer.
- You can add some veggies of your choice to the potato stuffing.
- Don’t put more stuffing in than needed. The paratha may tear while rolling because of overstuffing.
- If you are mashing potatoes with a potato masher or by hand, make sure there are no lumps in the mashed potatoes.