Custard fruit salad is a popular and simply delicious Indian dessert. It is made by mixing fruits into a creamy custard sauce. You can add fruits of your choice. Custard powder gets simmered in milk, which makes it smooth, creamy, and thick. The custard sauce will be sweet in taste, and different fruits will add their own punch with every bite. Compared to many other desserts, this one is easy to make and requires less effort. This is a perfect dessert for parties if you want to make it in less time.
Custard fruit salad | Homemade Fruit custard recipe
For the custard sauce
- ½ liter milk
- 3 tbsp custard powder (vanilla flavored recommended)
- ½ cup warm milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup green grapes, chopped
- ½ cup black grapes, chopped
- 1 cup apple, chopped
- 1 banana, sliced
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
To prepare the custard
- In a thick, heavy bottom pan, heat ½ liter full-fat milk on medium-high heat. Keep stirring occasionally and bring the milk to a boil.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, add 1/3 cup sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Add ½ cup warm milk and 3 tbsp custard powder to a bowl and mix them well to make a custard mix. Make sure there are no lumps in the mix.
- Turn the heat to low after the milk is boiled. Add the custard mix to the milk in small portions and stir quickly after adding each time. Stir well so that no lumps form in it.
- Keep stirring for 5 min and keep the heat on low. The custard will start to thicken. Once it has thickened, turn off the heat and let it cool down completely.
To make the fruit custard
- Add all the chopped fruits in the custard after it completely cools down. Mix them well together. You can add fruits of your choice.
- Cover and keep in the refrigerator at least for 2 hours to chill.
- Remove the chilled fruit custard from the refrigerator and pour it into a serving glass or bowl.
- Garnish with chopped fruits and serve chilled.
- To make the custard thicker, boil it for a few more minutes. Once it cools down, it will become thicker.
- If the custard is too thick, add warm milk as per your needs and whisk well till you get the desired consistency.
- Don’t use citrus fruits or melons.
- When making the custard, keep stirring it, so no lumps get formed.