Pav bhaji is a flavorful and delicious street food from Mumbai, India. It tastes so amazing that you will always be craving it. Not only adults, but kids also love this dish.
It is the perfect dish to serve your guests. Bhaji is made from mashing mixed vegetables and cooking them in butter with different spices. Butter and spices give it such a nice aroma that you won’t ever forget it. Pav is a small bread roll with a crusty top that is roasted with butter before being served with bhaji.
This famous street food is now a part of many upscale Indian restaurants all around the world. Follow my recipe to make this tasty dish at your home.
Similar main course recipes:
Pav bhaji recipe | how to make street style pav bhaji at home
- 3 potatoes diced
- 1 carrot chopped
- ¾ cup cauliflower florets
- ½ cup pea (matar)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cup water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 capsicum chopped
- 3 tomatoes chopped
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp pav bhaji masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tsp butter
- A pinch of kashmiri red chilli powder
- A pinch of pav bhaji masala
- 1 tsp coriander leaves chopped
- In a pot, add 1½ cups of water.Once the water is hot, add 3 chopped potatoes, 1 chopped carrot, and ¾ cup cauliflower florets. Add ½ cup peas and ½ tsp salt. Cover with a lid, turn heat to medium-high, and boil for 15 min.
- After 15 min, remove the lid and check if all vegetables are cooked well or not. Use a knife to check if it cuts vegetables easily or not. Cook for a few more minutes if the vegetables are under-cooked. Do not drain the water.
- Use a masher and mash the vegetables very well in the same pot.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp butter in a large kadai on medium high heat. Add ½ tsp cumin seeds and fry for 1 min.
- Add ½ cup chopped onions and fry for 2 min.
- Add ½ cups chopped capsicum and 1 chopped green chili. Fry for 2 min.
- Add 3 chopped tomatoes and 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and sauté for 2 min.
- Next, add 2 tsp kashmiri chili powder, ½ tsp turmeric powder, and 2 tbsp pav bhaji masala. Then add 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp kasuri methi. Mix all the spices well together.
- Add boiled and mashed vegetables to the kadai. Mash again if you want a smooth texture to the bhaji. Add 1 cup of water and mix well.
- Simmer for 5 min on low heat. Add 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. Keep stirring often and let the bhaji thicken as per your requirements.
For toasting the Pav
- Heat the butter in a pan. Add a pinch of red chili powder, a pinch of pav bhaji masala, and chopped coriander leaves to the pan. Mix everything well with butter.
- Put the pav on a butter, rotate,and apply butter to the other side too. Fry pav from both sides for a minute.
- Transfer the bhaji to a bowl or plate to serve. Put a cube of butter on top of the bhaji and sprinkle chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve bhaji with lightly butter fried pav, lemon wedges, and finely chopped onion.
- You can also cook vegetables in a pressure cooker instead of a pot.
- If you want, adjust the spice level as per your taste.
- Butter enhances the taste of the bhaji; add more butter if you like.
- Add or skip vegetables of your choice.