Paneer lababdar is a very popular and delicious dish from North India. It has a mildly spicy, sweet, and tangy taste. This dish is surely going to surprise you if you have never tried it before. Butter and cream give it rich taste and smooth texture to the gravy. Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) is cooked with onions-tomato paste, and different spices. This delicious paneer lababdar is a perfect dish for special occasions or weekend dinners.
Similar main course recipes:
Paneer lababdar recipe | How to make paneer lababdar dhaba style
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 5 black pepper, whole
- ½ inch cinnamon
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tejpatta (Indian bay leaf)
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1½ inch chopped ginger
- 2 Kashmiri red chilies
- 200 gm paneer cubes (cottage cheese)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp green chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp grated paneer (50gm approx)
- ½ cup water
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- ¼ cup fresh cream
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a kadai on medium-high heat. Add 2 green cardamoms, 3 cloves, 5 black peppers whole, ½ inch cinnamon, ½ tsp cumin seeds, and 1 tejpatta. Stir well and fry for 5-6 seconds.
- Add 1 cup chopped onions, 1½ cup chopped tomatoes, and 1½ inch chopped ginger. Then add 8 garlic cloves, 2 Kashmiri red chilies, and 12 cashews. Mix everything well. Add 1 cup water and stir well. Cook for 10 min.
- Let all the ingredients cool down. Transfer it to a mixer jar and blend it to make a smooth paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp butter in the kadai on medium heat.
- Add 1 tsp chopped garlic, 1 tsp chopped green chilies, ¼ finely chopped onions, and 2 tbsp finely chopped tomatoes. Mix well, and cook for 5 min. Then add onion-tomato paste and give it a good mix. Cover with a lid and let it cook for 5 min.
- Add 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, and 1 tsp salt. Mix well with the gravy and cook for 2 min. Add ½ cup water and mix well. Cook for 20-30 seconds.
- Now, add 4 tbsp grated paneer and mix. Cook for 1-2 min and add the paneer cubes. Stir well to mix.
- Add 1 tsp kasuri methi and ¼ tsp garam masala, mix well. Cook for a minute.
- Add ¼ cup cream and combine well with gravy. Finally, add 1 tsp sugar and 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. Give it a good mix and cook for a minute. Turn off the heat.
- Serve hot paneer lababdar with roti, naan, or rice.
- Adjust the spice level as per your taste.
- Instead of sugar, you can use honey.
- You can also use homemade paneer.
- Use ripe tomatoes for this dish. Tomatoes that are not ripened will make the gravy sour.