How to make jeera aloo | dry aloo sabzi | indian cumin potatoes recipe
Jeera aloo is a very quick and delicious dish from North India. It is a simple recipe to make and needs less time to cook. This is a perfect dish to try if you are a beginner at cooking. ‘Jeera’ is a Hindi word for cumin seeds, and ‘aloo’ for potatoes. They are the main ingredients which need to be cooked with a few other ingredients. This is always a reliable option if you ran out of other vegetables or don’t want a long recipe. Aloo jeera is a very versatile dish. You can serve it either as a main course or as a side dish.
Jeera aloo recipe
Jeera aloo is a very simple, easy, and delicious dish from North India. It is mildly spicy and very flavorful. Boiled potato cubes get cooked with very few ingredients. It makes jeera aloo one of the quickest recipes to make if you are in a hurry.
- 400 gm potatoes (boiled)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 1½ tsp ginger crushed, crushed
- 1 tsp green chilies
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp mango powder
- ½ tsp kasuri methi
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- Take 400 gm potatoes and wash them under running water. Clean them and boil them in water. Don’t boil them for too long.
- Let them cool down, and then peel the skin of the potatoes. Cut them into cubes.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a kadai on medium heat. Add 1½ tsp cumin seeds and fry till they start crackling. Add ½ tsp crushed ginger and 1 tsp crushed green chilies. Stir well and fry for 1-2 min.
- Add boiled potato cubes and a pinch of asafetida. Mix well and fry for 20 seconds.
- Add ½ tsp red chili powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, and ¼ tsp turmeric powder. Then, add ¼ tsp garam masala, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp mango powder. Mix all the spices well together and cook for 3 min.
- Now add ½ tsp kasuri methi and ½ tsp cumin powder and mix well with the potatoes. Cook for 2-3 min and turn off the heat.
- Garnish jeera aloo with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with a roti, naan, or as a side dish.
- Adjust the spices as per your taste. Add more green chili if you want it to be more spicy.
- Pierce potatoes with a knife or fork to check if they are cooked or not. It should pierce easily without resistance.
- Turn the heat to low when cooking spices to prevent them from burning.
Subscribe with us to get delicious recipes directly to your inbox: