Jeera aloo is a very quick and delicious dish from North India. It is a simple recipe to make and needs less time to cook. This is a perfect dish to try if you are a beginner at cooking. ‘Jeera’ is a Hindi word for cumin seeds, and ‘aloo’ for potatoes. They are the main ingredients which need to be cooked with a few other ingredients. This is always a reliable option if you ran out of other vegetables or don’t want a long recipe. Aloo jeera is a very versatile dish. You can serve it either as a main course or as a side dish.
Jeera aloo recipe
- 400 gm potatoes (boiled)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 1½ tsp ginger crushed, crushed
- 1 tsp green chilies
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp mango powder
- ½ tsp kasuri methi
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- Take 400 gm potatoes and wash them under running water. Clean them and boil them in water. Don’t boil them for too long.
- Let them cool down, and then peel the skin of the potatoes. Cut them into cubes.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a kadai on medium heat. Add 1½ tsp cumin seeds and fry till they start crackling. Add ½ tsp crushed ginger and 1 tsp crushed green chilies. Stir well and fry for 1-2 min.
- Add boiled potato cubes and a pinch of asafetida. Mix well and fry for 20 seconds.
- Add ½ tsp red chili powder, ½ tsp coriander powder, and ¼ tsp turmeric powder. Then, add ¼ tsp garam masala, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp mango powder. Mix all the spices well together and cook for 3 min.
- Now add ½ tsp kasuri methi and ½ tsp cumin powder and mix well with the potatoes. Cook for 2-3 min and turn off the heat.
- Garnish jeera aloo with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with a roti, naan, or as a side dish.
- Adjust the spices as per your taste. Add more green chili if you want it to be more spicy.
- Pierce potatoes with a knife or fork to check if they are cooked or not. It should pierce easily without resistance.
- Turn the heat to low when cooking spices to prevent them from burning.