Soya chunks biryani recipe | soy bean veg biryani recipe
Soya chunks biryani is a very aromatic, delicious, and healthy Indian dish. This dish is also known as meal-maker biryani. I personally love almost all types of biryani, and soya biryani is one of them. Marinated meaty soya chunks get cooked in a fragrant basmati rice, ghee, mint leaves, and a blend of spic-es. This gives biryani a very rich aroma and taste. This recipe is definitely not easy to make and needs time and attention while cooking. But if you like biryani or have never tried it before, then you must prepare for your next dinner. Follow my recipe step by step to make this mouth-watering biryani at home.
Soya chunks biryani recipe
Soya chunks biryani is a delicious and healthy Indian dish. Basmati rice gets cooked with marinated soya chunks, a blend of spices, mint, and coriander leaves. They give it a nice aroma and a taste.
- 1 cup soya chunks
- ½ cup curd
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ turmeric powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup fried onions
For boiling rice
- 1½ cup basmati rice
- 1½ litre water
- 4 cloves
- 4 green cardamoms
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 8-10 black pepper, whole
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
For frying soya chunks
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 4 cloves
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 7-8 black pepper
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 3 green chilies
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp biryani masala
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp fried onions
- Soak 1 cup soya chunks in warm water for 15 min. Then squeeze them to remove excess water. Keep them aside and let them dry.
- Now, take the soya chunk into a mixing bowl. Add ½ cup curd, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, ½ cup coriander leaves, and ¼ cup mint leaves. Then, add ½ tsp red chili powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp salt and ½ cup fried onions. Mix well with soya chunks, and let it marinate for 15 min.
- Wash 1½ cups basmati rice with clean water. Soak the rice in water for 20 min.
- Keep 1½ ltr water to boil medium high heat. Once the water starts to boil, add 4 green cardamoms, 4 cloves, ½ inch cinnamon and 8-10 black pepper whole. Add 1 tsp salt, 1tbsp oil, and soaked rice. Let the rice cook for 4-5 min.
- Now, drain the water and spread the rice on a plate.
- In a large pot, heat 2 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp ghee on medium flame. Add 1 bay leaf, 4 cardamoms, 4 cloves, ½ tsp cumin seeds, and 1 inch of cinnamon. Fry well for 7-8 seconds and add 1 cup sliced on-ions. Stir and sauté well for 8 min till they turn brown in color.
- Add 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste and sauté for 2 min. Add 3 green chilies, 1 tsp red chili powder, 1½ tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp turmeric powder, and ½ tsp cumin powder. Stir well for a few seconds.
- Add ½ cup chopped tomatoes and mix well. Cook for 3-4 min till the tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Add 1 tsp salt and mix well with the tomatoes. Add the marinated soya chunks and cook for 2-3 min. Add ¼ cup water and mix well. Cook for 2 min and add 1 tsp biryani masala; give a good mix.
- Now take half of the soya mixture out and keep it aside for making layers.
- Spread half of the boiled basmati rice over the soya chunk gravy. Spread the rice evenly to fully cover the soy sauce gravy.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, and fried onions over the rice.
- For the second layer, spread the soya chunk mixture over fried onions, coriander, and mint leaves. Add the remaining basmati rice and spread to cover the soya chunk mixture.
- Again, sprinkle chopped coriander, mint leaves, and fried onions. Add 2-3 tsp ghee over it and cover the lid. Cook for 10 min on low heat.
- Now place a tawa on a gas stove and put a biryani pot on it. Cook on low heat for another 20 min. Turn off the heat.
- Serve hot soya chunks biryani with onion raita.
- Use only basmati rice for biryani for a rich, authentic taste.
- Adjust the spices as per your liking.
- You can add veggies of your choice if you like.
- Fried onions give a really good taste, so don’t skip them while layering them on rice.
- Do not cook rice fully while boiling it. It will cook while making biryani.
- Mix the rice very gently before serving so it doesn’t break.
- Make sure that you squeeze all the water out of the soya chunks after soaking them.
- If you like, you can also add saffron milk while making layers.
- Whisk the curd to make it lump-free and smooth before using it for marination.
Subscribe with us to get delicious recipes directly to your inbox: