Goan chicken curry recipe (with coconut milk and tamarind)
Goan chicken curry is a popular and delicious dish from Goa, India. Chicken needs to be cooked in a curry made from onions, tomatoes, and a blend of spices. Coconut milk adds sweetness to the taste. I really like all the curry dishes that use coconut milk, as it adds sweetness and aroma to the curry. This makes it very different from other curries. It tastes mildly sweet, spicy, and tangy. This is one of the easiest dishes to make. Follow my recipe to make this tasty dish at home. Feel free to add or change the amounts of ingredients as per your requirements.
Similar main course recipes:
Goan chicken curry recipe
Goan chicken curry is a delicious dish from Goa, India. It has a spicy and mildly sweet taste. Follow my recipe step by step to make this dish at home.
- 500 gm chicken
- 5 kashmiri dry red chilies
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 3 green cardamoms
- 5 cloves
- 8 black pepper, whole
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ cup water
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- ½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- In a mixer jar, add all the ingredients mentioned for the paste. Blend till you get the smooth paste.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a kadai on medium heat. Add 1 cup chopped onions and fry for 6-7 min till it turns brown in color.
- Add ½ cup chopped tomatoes and mix well. Cook for 2 min.
- Add the chicken pieces and combine well. Cook for 6-7 min on medium high heat.
- Turn the heat to low and add the masala paste. Stir well and cook for 5 min. Add 1 cup water and cover with a lid. Cook for 20 min.
- Remove the lid and stir well. Add 1 tsp sugar and 1 cup coconut milk. Give it a good mix and cook for 5 min. Turn off the heat.
- Serve hot Goan chicken curry with naan, roti, or rice.
- Adjust spices as per your need.
- You can use the boneless chicken pieces, but the bone-in ones will give a better taste.
Subscribe with us to get delicious recipes directly to your inbox: