Madras chicken curry is a popular and delicious dish from Tamil Nadu, India. It tastes spicy and tangy. The coconut milk adds a little sweetness to the curry. The chicken is cooked in the curry which is made with a blend of spices, tamarind paste, and other ingredients. This makes the chicken tender and juicy. Follow my recipe step by step to make this aromatic dish at home.
Similar main course recipes:
- Chettinad chicken curry recipe
- Methi chicken recipe
- Palak chicken
- Indian green chicken curry
- Chicken lababdar
Madras chicken curry recipe Indian style
- 500 gm chicken
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp madras curry powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 12 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- ½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a kadai on medium heat. Add 1 cup sliced onions and fry for 5-7 min till they turn brown in color.
- Add 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste and stir well. Sauté for a minute. After that, add 1 tsp red chili powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, and 2 tsp madras curry powder. Then, add 10-12 curry leaves and 1 tsp tamarind paste. Stir well and cook for 2 min.
- Add ½ cup chopped tomatoes and mix well. Cook for 2 min and add 2 chopped green chilies and ½ tsp salt. Mix well.
- Now add the chicken pieces and mix well. Keep stirring in between, and cook for 4-5 min on medium-high heat.
- Then add ½ cup water and stir well. Cover the lid and cook for 15 min on medium heat. Remove the lid and add ¼ tsp garam masala. Give it a good mix.
- Add ½ cup coconut milk and mix well with the curry. Cover with a lid and cook for another 15 min. Turn off the heat.
- Serve hot madras chicken curry with roti, naan, parotta, or steamed rice.
- I have used bone-in chicken pieces, but you can use boneless chicken pieces.
- Adjust the spices as per your needs.