Chicken Bharta recipe Kolkata style | Chicken vorta
Chicken bharta is a popular dish from India. Boiled and shredded boneless chicken along with sliced boiled eggs, is cooked with variety of ingredients. This dish has a very rich taste. This dish is very balanced in taste, which makes it perfect for everyone. If you are trying it for the first time, you are going to love this dish.
Similar main course recipes:
Chicken Bharta recipe
Chicken bharta is a popular Indian dish. This dish is delicious and a must-try recipe if you've never tasted it. This dish is aromatic and easy to make at home.
For boiled shredded meat
- 400 gm chicken boneless
- 1 tejpatta (Indian bay leaf)
- 4 black peppercorns
- ½ inch cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
For making bharta
- 4 tbsp oil
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 3 green cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup onion paste
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chilies crushed
- ½ tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp curd
- 6 cashews soaked
- 1 tbsp magaz bee soaked (watermelon seeds)
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi
- ½ tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp fresh cream
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Kewra water
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- Heat ½ cup water in a pot on medium heat. Add 400 gm chicken breast, 1 bay leaf, 4 black pepper whole, ½ inch cinnamon, and ¼ tsp salt. Cover with a lid and boil for 15 min.
- Remove the boiled chicken breast to a plate and let it cool down. Use a sieve to remove the whole spices from the chicken stock. Keep stock aside in a bowl. Shred the chicken into long strips once it has cooled down.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a kadai on medium heat. Add ½ inch cinnamon, 3 green cardamom, 4 cloves, 1 bay leaf, and ½ tsp cumin seeds. Stir and fry for 15 seconds.
- Add 1 cup onion paste and fry for 4-5 min. Keep stirring while frying. Then add 1 tbsp gin-ger garlic paste, 2 crushed green chilies, and mix well. Sauté for a minute.
- Add ½ tsp Kashmiri red chili powder, 1 tsp red chili powder, and 2 tsp coriander powder. Then add ½ tsp cumin powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder and mix well. Sauté for 15-20 seconds. Add ½ cup tomato puree, 1 tsp salt and mix well. Keep stirring and cook for 4 min.
- Next, add 3 tbsp curd and mix well. Cook for about 1-2 min.
- Now, add the shredded chicken pieces and mix well. Cook for 4 min and add ½ cup chick-en stock. Stir everything well, cover with a lid, and cook for 2 min.
- Blend soaked cashews and magaz seeds together and make a smooth paste. Add this paste to the kadai and mix well with the chicken.
- Add ½ tsp garam masala, 1 tsp kasuri methi and ½ tsp sugar and mix well. Then add 2 sliced or chopped boiled eggs and mix well with the chicken.
- Now add 4 tbsp cream, and 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, mix well. Then add 1 tsp kewra water and 1 tbsp butter and give it a good mix. Cook for 2 min and turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with parotta, roti, naan, or bread.
- For boneless chicken, you can use thigh pieces.
- Adjust the spice level as per your taste.
- Whisk curd well and make it smooth before adding. You can also use thick yogurt.
Subscribe with us to get delicious recipes directly to your inbox: