Chicken chukka is a delicious south Indian dish from Tamil Nadu, India. Freshly ground spices, curry leaves, and lemon juice give it a nice aroma with a spicy and tangy taste. This is a dry-style chicken curry recipe that is very popular in South India. Follow my step-by-step recipe to make this tasty dish at home.
Similar main course recipes:
Chicken chukka dry masala (semi-gravy) recipe
- 500 g chicken
- 3 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 12 curry leaves
- 1½ tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- ½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a kadai on medium heat. Add ½ tsp fennel seeds and ½ tsp cumin seeds. Stir till it starts crackling, then add 1 cup of sliced onions. Stir well and fry for 5 min.
- Add 2 chopped green chilies and 12 curry leaves. Mix well and stir-fry for 15 seconds. Add 1½ tbsp ginger garlic paste and mix well. Keep stirring and frying for 2 min.
- Add 500 g chicken and mix well. Cook for 2-3 min and add ½ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp salt. Mix well, Cover with a lid and cook for 8-10 min.
- Add 1 tsp red chili powder, 2 tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, and 1 tsp black pepper powder. Give it a good mix and add ½ cup chopped tomatoes. Cover with a lid and cook till the toma-toes soften.
- Remove the lid and add ¼ cup water. Stir well and cover with a lid. Cook for 15 min on low heat or till the water is evaporated.
- Add ½ tsp garam masala and 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and cook for 2 min. Turn off the heat.
- Serve hot chicken chukka with chapati, parotta (paratha), or rice.
- Adjust the spice level as per your taste.
- Use bone-in chicken pieces for better taste, though you can use boneless chicken if you prefer.
- Curry leaves add a nice aroma and taste to the dish. Use fresh curry leaves.