Similar main course recipes:
Chicken Ghee Roast Recipe Mangalorean Style
Chicken ghee roast is a famous Mangalorean dish. Marinated chicken is cooked with different spices and ghee. This dish is spicy, tangy in taste, reddish in color, and has a dry texture. This is a very simple and easy dish to make, which is very delicious in taste. You must try this recipe at home.
For the marination
- 550 gm chicken
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp curd
For ghee roast masala
- 8-10 byadgi chili
- 2 red chilies (spicy)
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper whole
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 spring curry leaves
- 7-8 garlic cloves
- ½ cup onion
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 1 tsp jaggery
- 5 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- In a mixing bowl, add 550 gm chicken, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp lemon juice and 3 tbsp curd. Mix them well and marinate for 30 min.
- Heat a pan on a low flame. Add 8-10 byadgi chilies, 2 spicy dry red chilies, 2 tsp coriander seeds, and 1 tsp cumin seeds. Then add ½ tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp black pepper whole, and ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds. Roast well for 4-5 min.
- Remove the roasted spices in a plate and let them cool down completely. Transfer the roasted spices to a grinder jar. Add 1 tsp tamarind paste, 1 inch ginger, 7-8 garlic cloves, and a bit of water. Grind the spices till you get a smooth paste.
- Heat 5 tbsp ghee in a kadai on a medium flame. Add ½ cup chopped onions and sauté them for 5 min.
- Add the marinated meat and cook it for 10 min on a high flame. Keep stirring in between. Remove it from the kadai and keep it aside.
- Add the masala paste in the kadai and stir well for 5 min. Add the chicken back to the kadai. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 min on a medium flame. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Add ½ cup water and mix well with the chicken. Cook for 15 min, till the ghee separates from the masala. Keep stirring in between. Add the curry leaves and jaggery. Mix well and cook for another 2 min. Turn off the flame.
- Serve hot with roti, naan, or steamed rice.
- Use bone-in meat pieces for better taste.
- You can add more spicy red chilies if you want to make it spicier.
- Roast spices on a low flame to prevent them from burning.
- Add more ghee if you like.
Subscribe with us to get delicious recipes directly to your inbox: