Kali mirch chicken is spicy white gravy cooked with black pepper. It is a very flavorful and aromatic dish. This recipe is easy to make and uses fewer spices compared to other Indian curries or gravies. The chicken in this recipe becomes juicy and tender, making it so delicious to eat. Try this recipe and share your experience.
Similar main course recipes:
Kali mirch chicken recipe | Murgh kali mirch | Chicken kalimiri
- 750 g chicken
- 5 tbsp curd
- 12-15 cashews, soaked
- ½ inch ginger
- 10-12 garlic cloves
- 4 green chilies
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper whole
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 green cardamoms
- 5 cloves
- 2 small pieces of javitri (mace)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- ¼ piece of nutmeg
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- Heat the pan on a high flame. Turn the flame to low and add 1 tbsp whole black pepper and 1 tsp cumin seeds. Roast for 2 min then remove from the pan. After the spices have cooled down, transfer them into a grinder jar and make a coarse powder.
- Ina mixing bowl, take 750 g chicken. Add 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp prepared coarse powder of cumin seeds and black pepper, and 5 tbsp curd. Mix well with the chicken and let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan on a medium flame. Add 1 cup chopped onion(s) in a hot oil and sauté for 4-5 min.
- Add 10–12 garlic cloves, 1 inch ginger, 4 halved green chilies, and 10-15 soaked cashews. Sauté for 5 min and remove to a plate to cool down. Transfer it to a mixer jar and make a smooth paste of it.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp butter in a kadai on a medium flame.
- Add javitri (mace), cloves, cardamoms, nutmeg, and cinnamon in the kadai. Sauté for 4-5 seconds, then add onion paste.
- Cook the onion paste for 5-6 min on a medium-high flame. Add the marinated chicken to the remaining marinade and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and cook the chicken for 10 min. Remove the lid, add ½ cup water, and mix well. Add ½ tsp salt and the remaining cumin, black pepper coarse powder. Mix well, cover with a lid, and let the meat cook for 15 min.
- Add 1 tsp kasuri methi and ½ tsp garam masala, mix well. Turn off the flame after a minute or two.
- Serve hot with chapati, naan, or rice.
- You can use boneless chicken pieces for this recipe.
- Adjust the black pepper quantity as per your taste. Add more black pepper if you want.