Kali mirch chicken is a spicy white gravy cooked with black pepper. It is a very flavorful and aromatic dish. This dish is easy to make and uses fewer spices compared to other Indian curries or gravies. The meat in this recipe becomes juicy and tender, so delicious to eat. Try this recipe and share your experience.
Similar main course recipes:
Kali mirch chicken
- 750 gm chicken
- 5 tbsp curd
- 12-15 cashews, soaked
- ½ inch ginger
- 10-12 garlic cloves
- 4 green chilies
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper whole
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 green cardamoms
- 5 cloves
- 2 small pieces of javitri (mace)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- ¼ piece of nutmeg
- 1 tsp kasuri methi
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- Heat pan on a high flame. Turn the flame to low and add 1 tbsp black pepper whole, and 1 tsp cumin seeds. Roast for 2 min and remove from the pan. After the spices have cooled down, transfer them to a grinder jar and make a coarse powder.
- In a mixing bowl, take 750 gm chicken. Add 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp prepared coarse powder of cumin seeds and black pepper, and 5 tbsp curd. Mix well with the meat pieces and let them marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan on a medium flame. Add 1 cup chopped onion(s) in a hot oil and sauté for 4-5 min.
- Add 10-12 garlic cloves, 1 inch ginger, 4 green chilies halved, and 10-15 soaked cashews. Sauté for 5 min and remove to a plate to cool down. Transfer it to a mixer jar and make a smooth paste of it.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil and 2 tbsp butter in a kadai on a medium flame.
- Add javitri (mace), cloves, cardamoms, nutmeg, and cinnamon in the kadai. Sauté for 4-5 seconds, then add onion paste.
- Cook the onion paste for 5-6 min on a medium high flame. Add the marinated meat with the remaining marinade and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and cook the chicken for 10 min. Remove lid, add ½ cup water and mix well. Add ½ tsp salt and remaining cumin, black pepper coarse powder. Mix well, cover with a lid, and cook for 15 min.
- Add 1 tsp kasuri methi and ½ tsp garam masala, mix well. Turn off the flame after a minute or two.
- Serve hot with chapati, naan, or rice.
- You can use boneless meat pieces for this recipe.
- Adjust the black pepper quantity as per your taste. Add more black pepper if you want.