Chicken peratal is a delicious dish with origins in South India but is highly popular in Malaysia. The dish is known for its rich blend of spices. It is a perfect dish for family gatherings or parties.
It is one of the most popular Indian dishes in Malaysia, as a noteworthy South Indian population lives there. Many people add a twist to the dish to enhance and add more flavours. So, you may see different variations of chicken peratal.
Similar main course recipes:
Chicken peratal recipe: Malaysian dry chicken curry resepi
- 650 gm chicken
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 5 tbsp oil
- 1½ inch cinnamon
- 5 cloves
- 4 green cardamoms
- 2 star anise
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 3 green chilies
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup water
- Take the chicken into a mixing bowl. Add ½ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp salt, and 3 tsp lemon juice. Mix well with the chicken meat and let it marinate for 30 min.
- Heat 5 tbsp oil in a kadai on medium-high heat. Add the marinated meat and fry well for 10 min. Remove the chicken and keep it aside.
- In a kadai, add 2 tbsp oil and heat on medium heat. Add cinnamon, star anise, cloves, cardamom, cumin seed, and fennel seeds. Stir well and fry for 8-10 seconds.
- Add 1 cup chopped onions and mix well. Fry for 5- 6 min and add 2 tbsp ginger- garlic paste, mix, and fry for 2 min. Add the curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add red chili powder, curry powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and salt. Mix all the spices well and cook for 1-2 min.
- Next, add ½ cup chopped tomatoes, mix well, and fry for 2 min.
- Now add the fried chicken and mix well. Cook for 5 min on medium heat.
- Add ½ cup of water and stir well. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 min on low heat until the water evaporates.
- Turn off the heat once all the spices have thickened.
- Serve hot chicken peratal with rice, naan, or roti.
- Adjust the spice level as per your taste.
- You can garnish it with coriander leaves while serving.
- Use bone-in chicken pieces for better taste.
- You can add herbs of your choice. Always use fresh ingredients for an authentic taste.
- Do not burn the spices.