Mughlai chicken curry is a popular and delicious dish from North India. Gravy is made from cashews, almonds, curd, and cream, which makes it rich, smooth, and thick. Spices and fried onions make the gravy mildly spicy and tasty. This is not an easy recipe, and it is definitely not for beginners. This recipe does need more time and attention while cooking. Mughlai cuisine has some rich, aromatic, and lip-smacking dishes, and chicken mughlai is one of them. Try this recipe for your guests or for your next dinner plan.
Similar main course recipes:
Mughlai chicken curry | Murgh mughlai masala gravy recipe
- 750 gm chicken
- 1½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp curd
- 2 tbsp coconut grated
- 2 tbsp curd
- 12 cashews soaked
- 10 almonds soaked and peeled
- 2 green chilies
- 1 cup fried onion
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
For frying spices
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 black cardamom
- 4 green cardamom
- 6 cloves
- ½ tsp black pepper, whole
- ½ tsp black cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp onions fried
- 2 tbsp curd
- 2 tbsp cream
- 4 green chilies
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 cup water
- Take chicken in a mixing bowl. Add all the ingredients for the marinade and mix well with the chicken. Let it marinate for 30 min.
- In a mixer jar, add 1 cup fried onions, soaked cashews and almonds (peeled). Then add 2 tbsp coriander leaves, 2 tbsp grated coconut, and 2 green chilies. Blend everything well until you get a smooth paste.
- Heat 5 tbsp oil in a kadai on medium heat. Add 1 bay leaf, 1 inch cinnamon, 1 black cardamom, and 4 green cardamom. Then add 6 cloves, ½ tsp black pepper, whole, and ½ tsp cumin seeds. Mix well and fry for 15 seconds.
- Add the marinated chicken and mix well. Turn the heat to medium-high and cook for 10 min. Keep stirring in between.
- Turn the heat to low. Add the onion-cashew paste. Mix well with the chicken and cook for 5 min.
- Cover the kadai with a lid and cook for 15 min on low heat. Keep stirring in between.
- Add 2 tbsp curd and 2 tbsp fried onions. Mix well with the chicken, cover with a lid, and cook for 5 min.
- Add 1 cup water and 4 green chilies. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 min.
- Now add ½ tsp garam masala and give it a good mix. Add 2 tbsp cream and mix well. Cook for an-other 5 min.
- Finally, add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and mix well in the gravy. Cook for 2-3 min and turn off the heat.
- Serve hot Mughlai chicken with roti, naan, paratha, or rice.
- Use bone-in chicken pieces for this recipe.
- Adjust the spice level as per your needs.
- Soak cashews and almonds for 10-15 min. Peel the skin of the almonds before using them in the recipe.
- You can let the chicken marinate for 2-3 hours or overnight for better taste.
- Whisk the curd well before using to make it smooth and lump-free. You can use thick yogurt instead of curd.